REFLECTION ON TOPIC 4

Our first PBL group meeting for Topic 4 was cancelled so I had a chance to take part in the Blog Writing webinar instead, which turned out to be a very intimate meeting with 2 participants (including myself) and John Weston. We got tons of tips and suggestions on how to approach blogging. It turned out my approach is quite unorthodox, as I seem to treat my blog posts as a mix of journaling and note taking focused on some of the most important events I take part during the ONL journey. So the idea is to make it a bit more personal. Let’s give it a try then. J

I enjoyed the webinar with dr Robin Kay, which I found very practical, with tons of ideas for warm-up, video creation, assessment, useful technology tools, etc. I liked the polling tool that was used during the webinar, Straw Poll, and I am definitely going to use it in the future in the context of blended teaching.

When reading the recommended literature, I came across a definition of blended learning that particularly resonates with me: “the organic integration of thoughtfully selected and complementary face-to-face and online approaches” (Garrison & Vaughan, 2008, p. 148), where “organic” means that it is grounded in practice, and the use of the adverb “thoughtfully” emphasizes the need for a significant rethinking of how we should be approaching the learning experience. Thus, blended learning is specifically directed to enhancing engagement through the innovative adoption of purposeful online learning activities.

In general, it has been the most practical topic of all previously discussed during the ONL course, allowing us to share our experiences with blended teaching, including challenges we faced, solutions we came up with, and best practices, including tools recommendations. It was also an opportunity to share our emergency remote teaching experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic, and discuss the way our universities’ approaches changed now, in the (hopefully) post-pandemic times.

As my personal take away from this course I am definitely going to use My Simple Show for short video introductions (of myself as a lecturer and of the students participating in Virtual Exchange projects I coordinate), Miro Board as a group work platform and Canva as a presentation tool.

Komentarze

  1. Interesting way at looking at blended learning particularly about the organic aspect and the thoughtfully aspect of this form of learning and teaching. Thank you for the nice blog!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I have also liked the way you treat blended learning. It contributes to its thorough understanding. Thank you!

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga